a belated but hearty thanks to everyone who came out and took part in new forms festival 2016. it was a pleasure to put together two of the line up's for this year. the satellite gallery on friday night with lee bannon, strategy, x/o, rosen, wzrdryAV, and aspecial performance from mark van hoen. and the main room saturday night with untold, deft, swisha, hood joplin and c130. it's been nothing but positive and entusiastic responses on all fronts. happy this could happen in vancouver. special thanks to malcolm levy, scott w, emmy, rauiri, matt, and the whole rest of the team. cheers!
needless to say summer was loaded with interesting and fun and fullfilling times. i kept meaning to update the news feed with all that was happening but (as is the typical story) i was way too busy with shows, other music work, general life and finding precious pockets of time to unwind and ground. i'll be catching up on everything here soon enough. for now, here's some words i dropped on facebook recently that sheds a little light. plus a pic beach fire i had with a few friends, here on the sunshine coast.
- just tying up producing and mixing 3 songs for a friend's next album. pro gig, aimed at radio and pop sphere. very exciting to be building on those skills and experience.
- starting a project scoring an exciting dance performance to be toured nationally. 20 minutes of material.
- next release on low indigo will be a collab between myself and international-name/honourary-vancouverite
- i have a public audio installation running for 3 months, 24 hours a day, in downtown calgary very soon. very excited about that one.
- other projects in the works on the sound design and musical scoring tip.
- been a heavy focus for over the past year(s) that i get my livePA to the point of where i feel it matches a similar quality/versatility/impact as my dj sets. this past summer was the goal to show people that. i feel like i got there. very pleased with that.
- curated two rooms of talent for new forms festival. extremely excited about that coming up in october.
- trying out dj'ing some things in roberts creek this fall, sunshine coast. honestly didn't think the scene was here but HOLY - a thing i played in august proved that idea wrong.
- i hardly ever bring out-of-towners to vancouver ever more. i gotta genuinely be a fan and excited about it and see the need for van to have them (lots of other promoters bringing great names to van these days - so way less voids to fill, compared to years past). ..this thursday i'm bringing HODGE through the red gate with some rock solid locals. VERY STOKED.
- put up a few mixs last week. one official, my diversity fest afternoon set, and one less official (non-friends might needa dig a lil). i desperately want to get more mixs up online and into hungry ears and souls, but it takes time for me to prep mixs (i like to go thru recordings from shows many times thru and tidy up eq's and volumes - so they work on any playback system and stand the test of time a bit). ...so, believe me, i am the one who is MOST aware of pending sets i "owe" the internet. it/they will get done as soon as i have the window of time. sets from basscoast (including 2015) and shambhala are at the top of the cue. paid music projects and releases of my own original music take precedent (i am and was and will always be an artist way ahead of being a dj).
- official healing/transcendant guided sound sessions i want to do more of. if you have budget and space/opportunity - hit me up. this area of work can/could be potentially be partly/all "in kind" (team earth) but you gotta have the right setting and vibes.
- i had a recent vision that might be one of my ultimate callings (finally saw clearly what some central piece looks like). seeds have been cultivating for years (decades really), and been "talking" for years about how next summer might be the one, but .. next summer might be the one. ;)
- osh, and also a nice handful of releases i'm excited about as well. some appearances on others albums and some solo mred and souns stuff.
- personal life transitions been heavy for a while now ..like they have been for many of us. hugs
- other stuff. this is a snapshot for this sunday, sept 11. love you