Very please announced! Stay tuned.
red gate makes no compromises in serving the true underground community and up-and-comers and weirdos in east vancouver. contributing a track to their wildly diverse double cassette compilation, to help raise funds for their continued efforts, was no question.
it's been an extra long process to get this release together but totally worth the wait. the fellas from babel printed and pressed (also see undone) worked hard to get it right and it shows. the booklet looks great. the vinyl sounds amazing. the video by endtask is world class. proud of this one. nice one taal mala too of course. vinyl & booklet is available at record shops in vancouver, new york, bristol, toronto, juno, rwd_fwd, red eye and bandcamp.
also a little lighter flash to the sinking ship, where me and taal mala and the label all lived under the same roof for a time, and where this project was seeded.
i initiated the low key YEARS END at the very end of last year, and got a bunch of positive feedback about it. the plan is to release another albums worth of material at the very end of this year too. i'll also be slowly feeding select unreleased back catelog and certain older short-run physical releases to there too.
just put up the original score i did for A1PHA, a short film eron carruth wrote and directed. thanks for the support
extremely pleased to announce my audio installation for +15 soundscapes a time and place, revisted is happening from now until the start of january. a network of discreet speakers spread across a downtown calgary city block playing a soundscape i created, 24 hours a day. many thanks to arts commons to selecting my work for this, constantine katsiris and sheena jardine-olade for helping prep my work behind the scenes. and extra special thanks to tanya tagaq for letting me use her voice in the work and hosting me in her home community of cambridge bay, which allowed for the whole thing to happen in the first place.
arts commons wrote up their own description of the project, so i figured i'd share the description, in my words, below..
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION
A Time and Place, Revisited is a meditative sound journey of music and soundscapes created exclusively from audio recorded in and around Cambridge Bay, Nunavut. Invited by musical collaborator Tanya Tagaq, and an acclaimed Inuit throat singer, Michael Red flew up to the far north in 2006 to carefully record sounds from the land, life and Tanya in her home community. Sounds gathered include wind, rushing water, still water, slush, ice melting and crackling, birds, sled dogs, a qillauti (drum) played and tightened, swishing ulus (knives) together, fingers running through furs and feathers, objects being banged and clanging together at the community dump, the 10 o'clock siren, kids laughing and playing, and Tanya singing and experimenting with her voice. Over the course of three years, back in Vancouver, Red meticulously processed and categorized the three weeks of raw material he recorded and shaped them into a comprehensive sound library. This library includes full sets of drums, percussion, bass, melodic instruments, and atmospheres - all created the recordings from up north and computer software process's. Michael has used parts of this library in performance with Tanya, as well as in part of a installation for CODE:live (part of the 2010 Olympics), but never dove deep in the full expanses of the nunavut sound library until now.
A Time and Place, Revisited is a continuous cycling mix of the songs, soundscapes and sound art inspired by, and made from, the Canadian Artic. It is intended as a cyclical story that can be picked up anywhere, moving between the quieter moments of ambient field recordings and more dramatic areas like beat-driven songs. It is a sound expression of an experience - a compilation of ideas, emotions and expressions inspired from land above the treeline.
- ARTIST STATEMENT
A Time and Place, Revisited is a journey that engages the listener in a similar way to how they might experience the north themselves: quiet contemplations, wildly raw and powerful moments, mysterious and magical diversions, simple natural beauty.
This work is very much “alive”. Finding the life in raw audio recordings of things like wind and water, and allowing space for that life to speak in it's own voice.
The first appearance of this work was part of an art installation for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. This is a further developed and refined version of that work, hence the “revisited” in the title.
my friend sammy chien recently showed me some documentation from a show in taiwan i contributed music to in 2015. ..sometimes documentation is slow to come around, heh (and actually there apparently is still "proper" video to come).
needless to say summer was loaded with interesting and fun and fullfilling times. i kept meaning to update the news feed with all that was happening but (as is the typical story) i was way too busy with shows, other music work, general life and finding precious pockets of time to unwind and ground. i'll be catching up on everything here soon enough. for now, here's some words i dropped on facebook recently that sheds a little light. plus a pic beach fire i had with a few friends, here on the sunshine coast.
- just tying up producing and mixing 3 songs for a friend's next album. pro gig, aimed at radio and pop sphere. very exciting to be building on those skills and experience.
- starting a project scoring an exciting dance performance to be toured nationally. 20 minutes of material.
- next release on low indigo will be a collab between myself and international-name/honourary-vancouverite
- i have a public audio installation running for 3 months, 24 hours a day, in downtown calgary very soon. very excited about that one.
- other projects in the works on the sound design and musical scoring tip.
- been a heavy focus for over the past year(s) that i get my livePA to the point of where i feel it matches a similar quality/versatility/impact as my dj sets. this past summer was the goal to show people that. i feel like i got there. very pleased with that.
- curated two rooms of talent for new forms festival. extremely excited about that coming up in october.
- trying out dj'ing some things in roberts creek this fall, sunshine coast. honestly didn't think the scene was here but HOLY - a thing i played in august proved that idea wrong.
- i hardly ever bring out-of-towners to vancouver ever more. i gotta genuinely be a fan and excited about it and see the need for van to have them (lots of other promoters bringing great names to van these days - so way less voids to fill, compared to years past). ..this thursday i'm bringing HODGE through the red gate with some rock solid locals. VERY STOKED.
- put up a few mixs last week. one official, my diversity fest afternoon set, and one less official (non-friends might needa dig a lil). i desperately want to get more mixs up online and into hungry ears and souls, but it takes time for me to prep mixs (i like to go thru recordings from shows many times thru and tidy up eq's and volumes - so they work on any playback system and stand the test of time a bit). ...so, believe me, i am the one who is MOST aware of pending sets i "owe" the internet. it/they will get done as soon as i have the window of time. sets from basscoast (including 2015) and shambhala are at the top of the cue. paid music projects and releases of my own original music take precedent (i am and was and will always be an artist way ahead of being a dj).
- official healing/transcendant guided sound sessions i want to do more of. if you have budget and space/opportunity - hit me up. this area of work can/could be potentially be partly/all "in kind" (team earth) but you gotta have the right setting and vibes.
- i had a recent vision that might be one of my ultimate callings (finally saw clearly what some central piece looks like). seeds have been cultivating for years (decades really), and been "talking" for years about how next summer might be the one, but .. next summer might be the one. ;)
- osh, and also a nice handful of releases i'm excited about as well. some appearances on others albums and some solo mred and souns stuff.
- personal life transitions been heavy for a while now ..like they have been for many of us. hugs
- other stuff. this is a snapshot for this sunday, sept 11. love you